/ 13 June 2024

Hayne heads home

Former NRL Player Jarryd Hayne leaves at the John Maddison Tower in Sydney, Monday, April 3, 2023. (AAP Image/Flavio Brancaleone) NO ARCHIVING
Former NRL Player Jarryd Hayne leaves at the John Maddison Tower in Sydney, Monday, April 3, 2023. (AAP Image/Flavio Brancaleone) NO ARCHIVING

The Squiz 

Former Parramatta Eels player Jarryd Hayne has been released from prison after having 2 sexual assault convictions overturned in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal yesterday. The 36yo has been detained in a minimum-security jail in Sydney’s west since last year after he was found guilty by a jury of sexually assaulting a woman – who can’t be named for legal reasons – at her Newcastle home on the night of the 2018 NRL Grand Final. Yesterday, the court found there was a miscarriage of justice during that trial, as the defence had not been allowed to further cross-examine the complainant, and because of the judge’s direction to the jury about how to treat allegations the woman had lied. But despite Hayne’s convictions being quashed, the door has been left open for another retrial

Remind me what this case is about…

The allegations against Hayne relate to what happened on the night of September 30, 2018, when the 2-time Dally M winner travelled to the woman’s home after they’d been messaging on Instagram. The court heard Hayne left a taxi waiting for him outside, causing the woman to become uninterested in pursuing anything romantic. But prosecutors accused Hayne of sexually assaulting her as she told him “no” and “stop”, leaving her bleeding. Hayne has maintained the sexual activity was consensual – but the jury accepted the woman’s version of events. Yesterday, the court found the jury was “deprived of evidence” after Hayne’s lawyers accused the woman of deleting text messages showing she consented. It’s also worth noting last year’s trial was the third in relation to this case – the first ended in a hung jury and Hayne was convicted after the second but won an appeal, before being convicted again last year.

So it’s all done and dusted…?

Not necessarily… The court of appeals has ordered a fourth trial, but Justice Stephen Rothman said there’s good reason for it not to go ahead – including that Hayne has “already served significant time in prison”. Rothman said “whether there in fact is a new trial is a matter for the Director of the Public Prosecutions”. That’s something the DPP said it would consider. In the meantime, Hayne’s been released on bail with a number of conditions, including paying a $20,000 surety and being ordered not to contact the complainant or enter the Newcastle local government area. Yesterday, his lawyer said “he’s obviously very happy the appeal was upheld and just wants to get home to his family”.

Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...

The Squiz Today

Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.

Get the Squiz Today newsletter

Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.