/ 25 September 2023

Mushy lunch survivor goes home

Death cap mushrooms

Ian Wilkinson, the pastor from Victoria’s Gippsland who survived after eating poisonous mushrooms in July, has been released from hospital. After 7 weeks of treatment in Melbourne’s Austin Hospital, Wilkinson’s family said it was a “moment of immense relief” and thanked the medical teams who treated him for their “unwavering dedication and exceptional care”. His wife Heather died after eating lunch at the Leongatha home of Erin Patterson, as did her sister and brother-in-law, Gail and Don Patterson. Patterson is married to Gail and Don’s son (but they separated some months ago), and the Wilkinsons were part of the family. A definitive finding hasn’t been delivered, but police reckon the group ate death cap mushrooms. Patterson remains a suspect as investigations continue and has denied any wrongdoing.

Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...

The Squiz Today

Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.

Get the Squiz Today newsletter

Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.