/ 28 May 2024

The race to rescue

Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Aussie military aircraft and other equipment will be sent to assist authorities in Papua New Guinea as the toll from Friday’s landslide in the northern Enga province continues to rise. The United Nations says around 700 people are presumed dead with only a handful of bodies having been recovered, but local authorities say over 2,000 people could be buried alive. There are also concerns more rain could destabilise mountains of rubble up to 10m deep. The landslide happened in a remote location and the UN has warned that damaged roads are making relief efforts more difficult. There is still some hope for the missing after local media reported a couple had been pulled from the rubble yesterday. Our Deputy PM/Defence Minister Richard Marles said the assistance we will provide our closest neighbour “will play out over the coming days.”

Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...

The Squiz Today

Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.

Get the Squiz Today newsletter

Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.