/ 17 November 2021

William Tyrell search is close to home



The search for 3yo William Tyrrell’s remains yesterday focused on the home in Kendall on NSW’s mid-north coast where he was last seen. Digging up shrubs, soil and the garden bed underneath the verandah at the family member’s former property, police are working on the theory that William fell from the balcony and his body was taken to another location. In 2 nearby areas, police and the Rural Fire Service are clearing the ground for inspection by cadaver dogs and experts. It adds to news that William’s foster parents have been identified as persons of interest and that police have taken out an apprehended violence order against them following an alleged assault on a child. Reports last night said William’s sister, who is now 11yo, has been removed from their care


And clearly there’s a lot more to go. But one thing that came through yesterday is the sense of confidence from the state’s most senior police officer that investigators are finally on the right track. Speaking to Sydney radio station 2GB yesterday, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said that he is “confident that the team who has the investigation at the moment can solve it.” And he didn’t mince words about missteps made by those previously in charge of the case. “The investigation was looking at some persons of interest that were clearly not and I think some time was wasted on that, and bushland is overgrown,” he said. “But a new team on-board … inherited what was a bit of a mess and have cleaned up that investigation.”


Those in the know say it’s a jab at former detective/turned podcaster Gary Jubelin. He was the high-profile face of the investigation until, in 2019, he lost his job and was convicted of making illegal phone recordings. Last night, Jubelin said he was disappointed by the comments and stood by the decisions he made in the case. As for what’s happening now, he said “I can’t comment on the current ongoing investigation, but like everyone else I hope police find out what happened to William.” He took control of the case 5 months after William went missing and was praised for his efforts by William’s foster parents. Last year, they aired concerns about how the case was being dealt with by those who took over from him.

Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...

The Squiz Today

Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.

Get the Squiz Today newsletter

Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.