Dean Smith’s Delicious Tuna Pasta
A casual dinner party favourite from WA Senator Dean Smith.
200 g bucatini, spaghetti or fusilli
1 large clove of garlic, peeled
1 fresh red chilli
2 anchovy fillets
4 ripe cherry tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
1 x 270 g tin of quality tuna in olive oil
1 tablespoon baby capers, rinsed
1/2 lemon, juice from
100 g wild rocket, washed
– Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
– Meanwhile, finely slice the garlic and chilli, then roughly chop the anchovies and tomatoes.
– Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the garlic, chilli, anchovies and capers. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and toss well.
– Reserving some of the cooking water, drain the pasta and add to the sauce.
– Toss well over the heat until lovely and glossy, adding a splash of the cooking water to loosen, if needed.
– Flake in the tuna, then add some lemon juice and most of the rocket.
– Toss well to warm the tuna through and wilt the rocket, then season carefully with salt and more lemon juice.
– Serve with a drizzle of oil, and a scattering of the reserved rocket.
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.