Kate’s Mum’s Shortbread
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cornflour
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons white sugar
1. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Using a pencil, draw a 19cm (diameter) circle in the centre of each sheet. Turn paper over.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale.
Add flour and cornflour. Stir to combine. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead to combine.
3. Divide mixture in half. Gently press each half into a round. Place 1 round onto each baking tray. Using circle marks as a guide, gently press out to form 1.5cm-thick, 19cm (diameter) rounds.
4. Use a knife to mark each round into eight even triangles (don’t cut right through). Pinch edges to form a frill. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm. Preheat oven to 160C.
5. Make topping brush each shortbread round with egg white. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30mins to 35mins or until light golden and firm to touch. Allow to cool completely on trays. Use a sharp knife to cut right through markings. Serve.
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.