Laura Jayes’ Mum’s carrot cake….
Laura Jayes’ Mum’s Carrot Cake
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp bicarb soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1+1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups finely grated raw carrot
3 eggs (beaten lightly)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with syrup)
Cream cheese frosting
3 tbs butter
3 tbs cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
250g icing sugar
– Place flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir well to mix.
– Add all the remaining ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon.
– Pour into a tin (9″/23cm square, 8″/20cm round) and let stand for 20 minutes.
– Bake in a slow oven (approx 150C) for 75-90 minutes. Watch the timing.
– Cool in tin for 10 minutes, turn out on a rack and cool before icing.
– Beat together all ingredients until smooth.
– If too thick add a small amount of milk.
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.