TV and film producer, actress, writer Robyn Butler has her neighbourhood onto a recipe her family kicks the week off with. Get onto it…
Monday Miso! (serves four)
Udon or Soba or Ramen noodles
• Bring a pot of water to the boil for noodles (soba or udon whichever you fancy
• In a wok or another pot, bring 1 litre of chicken stock to the boil and add half a large shredded wombok (or do one whole small one) and four chopped spring onions – simmer on a low heat.
• Put on a frying pan/chargrill for the salmon.
• Add your soba noodles to the boiling water and cook according to packet instructions.
• Add your seasoned salmon to the frying pan – skin side down and cook for 3 – 4 minutes (depending on how thick they are).
• Drain your noodles and put in bowls with a little of the stock mixture so they don’t go cloggy.
• Turn your salmon over and add a couple of tablespoons of miso (I use Shiro) and two sachets of Dashi granules to the wombok/stock. Don’t let this boil (It goes grainy and yucky).
• Add the stock to the bowls, and top with the salmon (should be a little rare in the middle – the soup keeps cooking it).
• Shred some Nori and whatever Japanese seasonings you have on hand – sesame seeds, shichimi togarashi (red pepper mix).