Sunbeam’s Fluffy Pikelets
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. And you don’t need to use all the batter at once – it will hold up in the fridge to use the next day.
1 cup self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp bi-carb soda
1/2 cup of milk + 1 tsp white vinegar
1 dsp butter + a little extra for cooking
– Sift the flour, salt, bi-carb soda into a bowl
– Add the sugar, egg and milk + vinegar (combine before adding)
– Combine in a blender or food processor on a low speed until combined
– Up the speed to just a notch or two off the highest speed and mix for 1 minute. (Note: if you’re using a Thermomix don’t mix as fast or as long as this or you’ll overwork the batter. Maybe try speed 5 for 15 seconds and see how that looks…)
– Fold in melted butter
– Heat a frying pan on medium-high with a little butter.
– Place large spoonfuls of mixture into the pan (we use an old school tablespoon). Cook until the batter bubbles, flip over and cook the other side
– Top with your favourites – jam / lemon + sugar / fresh berries + cream / whatever takes your fancy
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.