Squiz Quiz – 20 August 2021
1. The Taliban took control of Afghanistan this week. Who was the nation's former leader who was removed from power?
He's now in the United Arab Emirates. Baradar is back in Afghanistan after a 10-year absence and is expected to be made leader of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.
2. What did NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian say was behind the growing number of COVID cases in the state?
NSW Police said they identified 400 cases of that on Tuesday.
3. And while we're talkin' COVID, doses of hope in the form of more Pfizer vaccines started arriving in Oz this week from what country?
The majority of those will head to 12 areas of concern in Sydney.
4. The authority on all things barometric and synoptic said July was Earth's hottest month on record. What was behind the rise in temperature?
Last month was 0.93C warmer than last century's global average for July.
5. Which country started watching the Tokyo Olympics last week as if it was being broadcast live?
And locals are none the wiser thanks to the nation's strict internet and TV restrictions
6. Why are Olympic officials replacing the gold medal won by softball pitcher Miu Goto?
And that's a big no-no when it comes to infection control guidelines
7. The grandson of which boxing legend won his first pro fight this week?rn
I'm a believer in genesd said legendary fight promoter Bob Arum of 21yo Nico Ali Walsh's prospects.
8. Japanese publisher Maki Kaji died this week from cancer at 69yo. What puzzle was he the 'godfather' of?
There were versions of Sudoku around as early as the 18th century, but Kaji perfected it.
9. What marine animal has a large brain and can remember up to their ripe old age of 2yo, according to new research?
Which is a lot longer than the good ol' goldfish
10. Scientists have created brain cells in a dish that have 'sort of' grown what?
Yeah, we're done here...
Share your Results:
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.