The Squiz Quiz, 1 August 2020
Call yourself a good Squizer? See how well you were across the news this week.
1. What is the Australian Government’s approach to negotiating with Iran over the jailing of Brit-Aussie academic Dr Kylie Moore-Gilbert called?
Her friends and colleagues want the government to step it up with Moore-Gilbert moved to a notoriously dangerous prison.
2. US President Donald Trump floated the idea of delaying the presidential election scheduled for 3 November for what reason?
Not even Republicans thought it was a good idea…
3. As it turns out, music icon David Bowie was a big fan of what quintessentially Aussie TV show?
He and Iggy Pop used to watch it. So there you go…
4. What is “historic” about the new Closing the Gap targets announced this week?
PM Scott Morrison said the previous approach failed because it was “top-down, government-knows-best”.
5. The last four months have seen key economic indicators smash many records - what was this week’s blockbuster?
Our annual rate of inflation is -0.3%. We haven’t seen a fall like that in 72 years.
6. The bosses of the four big American tech companies - Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google - were called to give evidence to a Congressional committee this week on what issue?
Funnily enough, they say their size delivers great things to their customers/users...
7. Name the author who’s up for a third Booker Prize.
Will she make it three from three for the final installation of her Thomas Cromwell trilogy? We'll have to wait until November to find out...
8. Queensland has closed its border to which group of people this week?
Not that NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian knew about it before Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced it…
9. The US would really like Australia to do what?
Our government is reserving its decision on that…
10. The term “jerking my bobber” relates to what pastime?
Yep, we learned that one too this week…
Share your Results:
If you’ve got feedback or suggestions for The Squiz Quiz, shoot them through to [email protected].