The Squiz Quiz – 14 May 2021
Get your S’Quiz on with the week’s top 10 questions. See how well you were across the news this week.
1. Tensions between Israeli forces and Palestinian militants have intensified this week. What’s led to the boilover?
As of Monday, the two groups have been exchanging the most intensive airstrikes since 2014.
2. Suitors have been lining up for Crown Resorts over the past few months. Which was the latest to make an offer?
Australia’s other big casino operator has offered $12 billion, and Crown is looking at it…
3. Aussie Matildas captain Sam Kerr helped club side Chelsea to another title win this week. That saw her claim what award?
It’s a title she has now claimed across the English, American and Australian soccer leagues.
4. Former Australia Post boss Christine Holgate announced she has been appointed CEO of Global Express. We can expect to see her name in the news again next week, why?
That’s to do with her departure as chief postie following the purchase of expensive watches as rewards for senior execs… Watch this space.
5. This week, TV legend Bert Newton had his leg amputated after developing a “life-threatening” toe infection. What iconic TV show kick-started his decades-long entertainment career?
He then went on to debut on In Melbourne Today, In Melbourne Tonight, Good Morning Australia, New Faces… the list goes on and on…
6. A Tassie man’s sticky fingers have landed him in custody this week. But rather than the usual targets - jewellery, televisions, laptops - he stole what items?
Detectives seized 6 windows and a door, which police allege were stolen from a house under construction. Sign him up for The Block...
7. The Federal Budget was unveiled this week. What is the expected budget deficit for this financial year?
Australia’s debt should peak at $980.6 billion at the end of 2024-25. That’s a lot of billions…
8. A proposal from Facebook received no likes this week from officials from 44 US states. What was it about?
“There are myriad other - and safer - ways for young children to connect with family and friends,” officials said in a letter to Facebook.
9. Hollywood Foreign Press Association - the organisation behind the Golden Globes - faced continued criticism this week and the latest celebrity to join the chorus was Tom Cruise. What did he reportedly do to take a stand?
10. Egypt’s doing what to ensure a ship like the Ever Given isn’t stuck in the Suez Canal again?
It doesn’t seem like a lot, but we’re no engineers…
Share your Results:
If you’ve got feedback or suggestions for The Squiz Quiz, shoot them through to [email protected].