The Squiz Quiz – 16 October 2020
Call yourself a good Squizer? See how well you were across the news this week.
1. North Korea unveiled what last weekend at a parade marking the 75th anniversary of the nation’s Workers’ Party?
Far from denucularising the Korean Peninsula, North Korea looks to be gearing up again.
2. How much coral has been lost in the Great Barrier Reef since 1995 according to a new Australian Research Council report released this week?
The reef's coral populations have declined by half, largely due to bleaching events brought on by ‘marine heatwaves’ in 2016 and 2017.
3. Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, did what to stay “anchored” in 2019?
The Duchess said she’d been told she was the most trolled person of 2019 - something she described as “almost unsurvivable.”
4. Which United Nations agency won the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020?
The judging panel said it was important to highlight hunger, and the millions of people who have been pushed further into hunger as a result of the coronavirus crisis.
5. NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian was under pressure this week after it was revealed she’d had a relationship with disgraced former MP Daryl Maguire. How was the relationship described at the anti-corruption inquiry where it was first discussed?
Or maybe all of the above?
6. Why is the Transport Workers Union unhappy that Virgin Australia is getting a new boss?
Bain Capital says new times call for new leadership. And incoming boss Jayne Hrdlicka used to run Jetstar.
7. Also under pressure was Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews after Chris Eccles, the head of the Premier’s Department, resigned. Why did he go?
It’s still unclear who was the decision maker…
8. Italian teenager/computer whiz Carlo Acutis, who died of leukaemia in 2006 aged, is poised to become the first Catholic Church’s first millennial saint. What miracle did he perform, according to the church?
The 15yo was beatified at a ceremony in Assisi last weekend.
9. Who won the 2020 NBA Championship this week?
Take a bow, LeBron James…
10. It’s an issue that divides Australia. Which term is correct?
Please select 2 correct answers
Oh, ok. We’ll be generous and say both are correct. But our vote’s on potato cake…
Share your Results:
If you’ve got feedback or suggestions for The Squiz Quiz, shoot them through to [email protected].