The Squiz Quiz – 18 December 2020
Get your S’Quiz on with the top 10 questions. See how well you were across the news this week.
1. Trade Minister Simon Birmingham this week confirmed Australia would lodge a protest against China with the World Trade Organisation over tariffs put on what product?
It’s the first time Australia has taken China to the WTO over an agricultural commodity.
2. The federal government released its mid-year economic and fiscal outlook on Thursday. Rounded up, how much is the Budget deficit predicted to be this financial year?
That’s down from the forecast of $214 billion. And every billion counts…
3. There was a major breakthrough in cracking which famous cold case this week?
Some smart cookies, including an Aussie maths whiz, cracked a 51yo code used on one of the killer’s notes.
4. An important step was taken in confirming the US presidential election result this week. What happened?
The election’s been decided - Democratic candidate Joe Biden won - (almost) the end.
5. United Nations boss António Guterres this week urged nations around the world to do what?
He says that means more urgent action to reduce emissions would be forthcoming.
6. Talks between the UK and European Union are ongoing to iron out a trade deal to be implemented at the start of 2021. What’s been one of the sticking points?
Neither side is taking a bite…
7. Incoming First Lady Dr Jill Biden was the target of an opinion piece urging her to drop her qualifications from her title. What is she a doctor of?
Option D was former First Lady Abigail Bartlet’s specialty.
8. Author John le Carré died on Saturday. What novel was his first commercial success?
He was remembered as the author who made the spy novel literature.
9. Which Aussie singer is having a crack at Olympic-level swimming?
He’s qualified for the Olympic trials after hitting the pool hard for 5 months.
10. Domestic Goddess Nigella Lawson renamed a cooking appliance with notable flourish this week. What was it?
It’s a mee-cro-wah-vey… Who knows what she’d do with a meat tenderiser…
Share your Results:
If you’ve got feedback or suggestions for The Squiz Quiz, shoot them through to [email protected].