The Squiz Quiz – 4 September 2020
Call yourself a good Squizer? See how well you were across the news this week.
1. Prominent Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny was poisoned with what substance, according to the German Government?
And German Chancellor Angela Merkel wants Russia to explain itself.
2. Australia’s economy shrank by how much in the April-June quarter?
39% is how much the food and accommodation sectors’ output was down by…
3. What nation is considered to be the COVID-19 epicentre at the moment?
Its single-day tally of 78,761 new coronavirus infections recorded on Sunday exceeded the record held by the US.
4. World #1 men’s tennis star Novak Djokovic is breaking away from the Association of Tennis Players (ATP) to form a new representative player body. Why the split?
Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer disagree with the move saying the times call for a “united approach”.
5. What city in the US did both US President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden visit this week?
Protests have been ongoing in the Wisconsin city since the shooting of black man Jacob Blake almost two weeks ago.
6. There was news this week that Cheng Lei, an Australian journalist working for a Chinese Government media outlet, was detained in Beijing. What’s she been accused of?
Her family said they were confident due process would be served and “we look forward to a satisfactory and timely conclusion to the matter.”
7. What issue saw former Labor PMs Paul Keating and Kevin Rudd join forces this week to criticise the Morrison Government over?
In that Keating and Rudd want Team Morrison to honour their commitment to increase the employer contribution to 12% by 2025.
8. Who won the coveted MTV Video Awards top gong for best video?
Gaga won pretty much everything else…
9. When was the last time the AFL grand final wasn’t played at the hallowed MCG?
It was when the ground went through a big refurbishment.
10. Facebook said it would do what in the face of legislation that would make it pay for Australian news content on its platform?
Google is similarly uninterested in paying…
Share your Results:
If you’ve got feedback or suggestions for The Squiz Quiz, shoot it through to [email protected].