Squiz the day
12.30pm (AEDT) – Epidemiologists and immunisation experts Robert Booy, Mary-Louise McLaws & Sanjaya Senanayake address the National Press Club – Canberra
World Sustainable Development (Virtual) Summit – on until 12 February – India
ABS Data Release – Building Approvals, December (Additional Information)
World Pulses Day
Birthdays for actors Laura Dern (1967), Elizabeth Banks (1974) and Chloe Grace Moretz (1997)
• the debut of the Tom & Jerry cartoon (1940)
• Glenn Miller’s In the Mood hitting #1 (1940)
• the sinking of the HMAS Voyager after colliding with aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne, killing 82 people (1964)
• IBM’s Deep Blue becoming the first computer to win a game of chess against a reigning human chess champion – in this case Gary Kasparov (1996)
• more than 30 bushfires in NSW were put out by the heaviest rainfall in 30 years, helping end one of Australia’s worst bushfire seasons ever (2020)
The Squiz Today
Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.
Also Making News
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.