Squiz the day
Lunar New Year rings in the Year of the Metal Ox
• the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin (1809)
• US President Bill Clinton’s acquittal by the Senate in his impeachment trial (1999)
• the start of trial of former Yugoslavian President Slobodan Milošević at the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague. He died before its conclusion (2002)
• the Morrison Government lost a substantive vote in the House of Representatives, the first such loss in 78 years (2019)
World Radio Day
• the start of the bombing of Dresden by Allied forces (1945)
• British boy band Take That officially announcing that they are disbanding, prompting the UK Government to set up counselling phone lines (1996). And it’s former member Robbie Williams’ birthday (1974)
• Former PM Kevin Rudd’s apology speech to Stolen Generations (2008)
Wear Red Day for heart disease
International Book Giving Day
Birthdays for Michael Bloomberg (1942) and Cadel Evans (1977)
• the release of the original Dracula film starring Bela Lugosi (1931)
• the patenting of the first microchip (called “micro on a chip”) by Texas Instruments (1978)
• the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, which prompted protests against gun violence in the US (2018)
• the death of Captain James Cook (1779)
Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...
The Squiz Today
Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.
Also Making News
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.