/ 26 April 2021

Hope lost for missing sub survivors

An Indonesian Navy submarine that went missing off the coast of Bali mid-last week with 53 people on board has been found broken and deep in the Bali Sea. Overnight, officials said the crew were confirmed dead and said the ship’s hull, stern and main body had separated. Rescuers found a life vest that they believed belonged to those aboard the 44yo KRI Nanggala-402, which lost contact on Wednesday as it prepared to conduct a torpedo drill. “Based on the evidence, it can be stated that the KRI Nanggala has sunk, and all of its crew have died,” said Military Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto. Despite efforts supported by Australia, the US, Singapore and Malaysia, officials on Saturday said the sub had fallen to a depth of 850m, well beyond its survival limit. Parts of the submarine, along with debris including prayer mats, had been found near an oil slick where it disappeared – and it’s the appearance of oil that has experts concerned the fuel tank could have been damaged. There are lots of questions to be answered, and an investigation has been launched.

The Squiz Today

Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.

Get the Squiz Today newsletter

Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.