Squiz the day
6.00pm (WST) – Western Australia hard lockdown set to end if no cases are recorded today – but some restrictions will remain in place
National Cabinet meeting
ABS Data Release – Retail Trade, December
World Nutella Day
Birthdays for Michael Sheen (1969), Mary Crown Princess of Denmark (1972) and Christiano Ronaldo (1985)
• the discovery of the world’s largest alluvial gold nugget, the Welcome Stranger weighting 97.14kg, in Moliagul, Australia (1869)
• the US Senate acquitting US President Donald Trump of charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress (2020)
7.40pm (AEDT) – Men’s Big Bash League Cricket Final – Sydney Sixers v Perth Scorchers – Sydney
Waitangi Day – New Zealand
• HMS Beagle and Charles Darwin arriving in Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) (1836)
• the birthdays of Ronald Reagan (1911) and Bob Marley (1945)
• the launch of Monopoly (1935)
Skywhalepapa, the companion of the bulbous and 10-bosomed Skywhale, will take off – Canberra
Birthdays for country music star Garth Brooks (1962) and actor Ashton Kutcher (1978)
• the colonial Tasmanian Parliament passing the world’s first secret ballot (1856)
• New Zealand’s worst maritime tragedy, when the HMS Orpheus sunk off the coast of Auckland, killing 189 (1863)
• the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, which killed 173 people (2009)
And make sure you’ve read every Squiz Today email from this week to be in the draw for a $100 gift card from Woolies. Simples.
The Squiz Today
Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.
Also Making News
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.