Squiz the day
6.00pm (WST) – Western Australia hard lockdown set to end if no cases are recorded today – but some restrictions will remain in place
National Cabinet meeting
ABS Data Release – Retail Trade, December
World Nutella Day
Birthdays for Michael Sheen (1969), Mary Crown Princess of Denmark (1972) and Christiano Ronaldo (1985)
• the discovery of the world’s largest alluvial gold nugget, the Welcome Stranger weighting 97.14kg, in Moliagul, Australia (1869)
• the US Senate acquitting US President Donald Trump of charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress (2020)
7.40pm (AEDT) – Men’s Big Bash League Cricket Final – Sydney Sixers v Perth Scorchers – Sydney
Waitangi Day – New Zealand
• HMS Beagle and Charles Darwin arriving in Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) (1836)
• the birthdays of Ronald Reagan (1911) and Bob Marley (1945)
• the launch of Monopoly (1935)
Skywhalepapa, the companion of the bulbous and 10-bosomed Skywhale, will take off – Canberra
Birthdays for country music star Garth Brooks (1962) and actor Ashton Kutcher (1978)
• the colonial Tasmanian Parliament passing the world’s first secret ballot (1856)
• New Zealand’s worst maritime tragedy, when the HMS Orpheus sunk off the coast of Auckland, killing 189 (1863)
• the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, which killed 173 people (2009)
And make sure you’ve read every Squiz Today email from this week to be in the draw for a $100 gift card from Woolies. Simples.
Know someone who'd be interested in this story? Click to share...
The Squiz Today
Your shortcut to being informed, we've got your news needs covered.
Also Making News
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
Quick, agenda-free news that doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.