2023’s Great Big Squiz Quiz
1. In February, a Chinese spy balloon was shot down off the US coast in February. What did China say it was?
After analysing the debris, the Pentagon later said the balloon did not collect any intelligence.
2. The Victorian Government pulled out of hosting which sporting event in what year?
It cited a blowout in costs from $2.6 billion to up to $7 billion, and so far no one has put their hand up to take over hosting duties…
3. Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith lost his defamation case over a series of stories published in 2018 by which media outlets?
A judge found the publishers’ defences of substantial truth had been established over Roberts-Smith’s alleged unlawful killings and bullying.
4. At the BAFTA awards, Prince and Princess of Wales walked the red carpet - what happened that broke the internet?
Yep, Kate gave William a little pat on the bum.
5. ‘Neighbours’ returned to our screens this year featuring which well-known star of an early noughties American teen drama?
It was quite a thing considering the soapie’s big finale in 2022…
6. King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla had their coronation this year. What was the commemorative dish?
Featuring eggs, cheese, tarragon and broad beans...
7. For the first time in 21 years, the name engraved on the men’s Wimbledon trophy wasn’t Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray. Who won it?
The 20yo Spanish young gun beat reigning champ Novak Djokovic.
8. North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un made a rare trip out of the Hermit Kingdom for a face-to-face meeting with which leader?
He made the 20-hour journey to Russia on a private bullet-proof train.
9. A referendum was held in October this year. When was the last time a referendum was held?
In 1999, we voted on the question of whether Australia should become a republic.
10. Tillies fever - we had it... The semi-final defeat to England became the most streamed tv program ever in Australia. It overtook what as the most watched event?
The game had 11.15 million viewers at its peak.
11. The AFLW doubled the amount of prize money awarded at the end of the footy season to the top teams - it is now equal to the AFL. How much is it?
The AFLW will split it across the top 8 teams. The AFL split it across the top 4.
12. What object did Ryan Gosling see that made him immediately accept the role of Ken?
... next to a squashed lemon. He sent a photo of the doll to director Greta Gerwig, writing: “I shall be your Ken, this story must be told."
13. What was the reported 2023 pay gap between men’s and women’s full-time base salaries?
Which is the equivalent of 56 days of work.
14. What was the #1 song on the Triple Js Hottest 100 this year?
This was Flume’s second win, making him one of only two artists to win the Hottest 100 twice.
15. In the Matildas' epic 20-shot penalty shoot-out against France to win the quarter final, who booted the winning goal?
It was the longest penalty shootout in World Cup history.
16. Scotland’s First Minister resigned after more than 8 years in the role. What was her name?
For many following it, it was a shock exit.
17. Liberal MP Julian Leeser quit the Coalition frontbench over his decision to support the Voice referendum. He was the Indigenous Australians spokesman - and he held what other portfolio?
Replacing Leeser in the Indigenous Australians portfolio was Top End Senator Jacinta Price, who went on to become the ‘No’ campaign’s most prominent spokesperson.
18. Which sporting body’s CEO stepped down just months out of a big tournament this year?
It was a difficult year for rugby after the Wallabies’ disappointing World Cup run.
19. How many state premiers moved on this year?
Labor premiers Daniel Andrews, Mark McGowan and Annastacia Palaszczuk stepped down, and NSW's Dominic Perrottet lost the state election in March. And yes, the Northern Territory’s Chief Minister Natasha Fyles also went, but she's not a state premier...
20. As he left the job Reserve Bank Governor Philip Lowe said what about his 2021 comments that he expected interest rates to stay low?
Lowe wasn't reappointed to the job when his term expired in September...
Share your Results:
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.