Squiz Quiz – 1 December 2023
1. Hamas continued releasing some hostages this week, including Israeli citizens and foreign nationals from which country?
At least 30 of the hostages Hamas abducted on 7 October were Thai nationals who were working on farms and orchards in Israel.
2. Still on the conflict, how many extra hostages were released after a 4-day pause in fighting was extended by 2 days?
US President Joe Biden was credited for helping to broker the extension.
3. Which notable figure pulled out of the COP28 summit on Wednesday?
He was ordered to stay home after a recent bout of the flu.
4. Which former Liberal MP will become a senator after winning a vote to fill Marise Payne’s vacant
Coalition leader Peter Dutton said Sharma’s “diplomatic and foreign policy expertise will lend considerable weight and wisdom”.
5. What is the focus of the new deal between the Albanese Government and the Greens on the Murray Darling Basin Plan?
That’s when the government purchases a farmer’s licence so they can’t use it to irrigate crops.
6. Which of the following is a potential benefit of paternity leave for new dads, according to a new study?
The research found that spending quality time with their child can shape new fathers' brains and have a lasting impact on their parenting skills.
7. Which notable US figure is set to visit Oz next year as part of a bid to boost the number of American tourists heading Down Under?
Hopefully, it has a better outcome than her controversial trip to Taiwan…
8. What was the Merriam-Webster Dictionary’s 2023 Word of the Year?
Merriam-Webster said interest in the term had spiked due to “stories and conversations around AI, celebrity culture, identity, and social media”.
9. A fusion of which 2 cuisines is taking off in the US?
We’ll take either or both at the same time, whatever way it comes…
10. Why did Nigella Lawson suggest a chocolatey twist to the traditional Christmas cake?
We’re shocked and appalled but many agree - a new British survey found one in 5 people who buy or bake a Christmas cake admit they do not enjoy it...
Share your Results:
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.