Squiz Quiz – 20 January 2024
1. After Taiwan's latest presidential election result, which small Pacific Island country severed ties with Taiwan?
Nauru was one of just 13 countries that had official diplomatic ties with Taiwan, but it has now chosen to prioritise its relationship with China.
2. Who was the Republican presidential candidate that dropped out of the running after the vote in Iowa this week?
The Biotech entrepreneur received 7.5% of the vote and said he could see there was no way he could be successful.
3. This week the Albanese Government announced that it will establish an advisory group to look into the risk behind…
Regulating the hugely transformative/disruptive tech isn't straightforward, so the government is formulating guidelines to help navigate the problems.
4. Sheryl Sandberg - who quit Meta/Facebook this week - is famous for what other than her big tech career?
It's the book, but [insert shrugging lady emoji] she might be into the clarinet?
5. Which country is a spaceship that's set to land on the moon this weekend from?
If all goes to plan Japan will join Russia, the US, China and India who’ve all managed a soft (aka not a crash) landing on the moon.
6. What is Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley's vision for the Australian Open?
He wants it to be a huge event - he says "not just in the southern hemisphere, or in January, but the biggest sporting event in the world."
7. Who's the muse for Italian fashion house Fendi's latest menswear collection?
The collection 'Town and Country' takes inspiration from Anne's military attire and also her sustainable approach to fashion.
8. What did an Aussie catch with his drone migrating down the Mid North Coast of NSW?
Drone operator Daniel Lukic reckons there were 400 to 500 rays in the group, which marine biologists say is actually quite a lot.
9. What is happening in Australian right now that scientists say legitimately sends us cray cray?
Scientists have been studying this in the Top End for years, given its annual muggy “build-up” it is blamed for everything from rising crime to insomnia.
10. What's the latest accessory that TikTok has turned into a raging commercial success?
And all it took was hundreds of thousands of dollars, even more tiktoks, the guy who made Crocs a thing and some pastel colourways.
Share your Results:
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.