Squiz Quiz – 8 December 2023
1. How many days did the truce between Israel and Hamas last?
Over the 7 days of the truce, 110 hostages taken from Israel on 7 October were released, while 240 Palestinians were released from Israeli prisons.
2. What major Australian energy company's shareholders voted down a takeover bid this week?
Origin needed 75% of the shareholder vote to come in for the deal, but was rejected with only 66.97% of the vote in favour.
3. Federal Minister Bill Shorten announced changes to which big government-backed scheme?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is forecast to cost more than $100 billion each year by 2032 if things continue the way they are...
4. In what US state was a man indicted in relation to the 2022 Wieambilla police murders?
Authorities are looking into whether Christian fundamentalist Donald Day encouraged other Aussies to commit acts of terror.
5. The United Nations COP28 climate summit is wrapping up. Where is it being held?
The summit was held in the city of Dubai and has been focused on increasing the world's renewable energy.
6. In which state did the ombudsman drop a scathing report on how ministers/staffers worked with the public service?
The report found there was a “creeping politicisation” of the public service and a “culture of fear”.
7. Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' turned how old last weekend?
Time flys, eh?
8. What is the latest iconic Aussie outfitter to change hands?
Gina Rinehart purchased Driza-Bone not long after Andrew and Nicola Forrest added Akubra to their investment portfolio that includes RM Williams.
9. Which Aussie actress was nominated for a Critics Choice Awards?
She's been nominated for best actress in a drama series ('Succession', obs...). Congrats also go to 'Bluey' - it's in with a shot for the best animated series.
10. Which Christmas classic has hit the #1 spot on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart?
It's the first time Brenda Lee's festive classic has hit the top spot - and it's just 65 years on since it was recorded...
Get the Squiz Today newsletter
It's a quick read and doesn't take itself too seriously. Get on it.